Carbonara is one of my favourite pasta dishes but it can be quite calorific so it’s definitely more of a treat for me. But by replacing the cream with fat free natural yoghurt it makes it so much healthier but it still tastes great! This recipe is Slimming World friendly and a firm favourite in our household for a tasty mid week dinner as its so quick and easy to make.
Ingredients (Serves 4 and is 1 syn per portion for the parmesan or SYNFREE if using as your Healthy Extra A choice)
- 6 lean rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed
- A handful of mushrooms sliced (I use white or chestnut)
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp fat free natural fromage frais
- 2 level tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 400g dried spaghetti / tagliatelle / linguine
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tbsp of fresh chopped parsley
- Cook your pasta as normal and drain well using a colander before returning to the saucepan
- While the pasta is cooking, dry fry your bacon & mushrooms on a fairly high heat for 2-3 minutes or until cooked then remove from the heat
- Lightly beat the eggs, season to taste and stir in the fromage frais, 1 tablespoon of Parmesan and most of the parsley
- Add the bacon to the drained spaghetti and mix well over a low heat, then remove from the heat and stir in the egg mixture. Toss thoroughly so that the eggs thicken from the heat of the spaghettii, making a sauce that coats the pasta
- Sprinkle over the remaining parmesan and parsley then serve with a side salad
Do let me know if you make it! I’d love to see a picture. Thanks for reading!