InFamily, Hugo

Hugo’s Birth Story {Part One}

I wanted to share Hugo’s birth story while all the details are still fairly fresh in my mind. I remember doing the same after having Bella, even though I didn’t have my blog then, I still typed it all up on my Macbook just so that I didn’t forget. I’m sure I will eventually get around to sharing hers here at some point too, but for now here is all about how our second baby came into the world. It’s a bit long, I considered cutting it down but decided to just share it in two parts instead, mainly because I don’t want to forget any of the small details myself!


My due date was Wednesday the 14th June. This day came and went with no signs of a baby arriving anytime soon. As Bella was three days early, I never thought I would reach my due date this time around but alas, I did…

By Saturday I was feeling well and truly fed up. The heat was just unbearable at 40 weeks pregnant. And I seemed to be spending way too much time googling ‘ways to induce labour’. Something I swore I would never ever do! Josh and I decided on Saturday morning that we weren’t going to talk about it all day. That we would just focus on having a nice relaxing family day with Bella. We popped out in the morning to pick up some food for lunch. We then headed over to Josh’s parents to spend the afternoon with them in their swimming pool. I left my phone inside to avoid all the ‘is he here yet?!’ and ‘any signs yet?’ messages I kept receiving.

We ended up having such a lovely day. Bella absolutely loved having all of our undivided attention while we splashed about in the pool. By the time we headed home after dinner I felt thoroughly relaxed and refreshed for the first time in weeks. It was about 8.30pm by the time we arrived home and had put Bella to bed. I commented to Josh how I’d had a few strong tightenings since we had got home. Although, I didn’t really think too much of it and we settled down on the sofa to watch Love Island. By 9.30pm the tightenings were becoming a bit stronger and more regular so we decided to start timing them while I bounced on my ball.

At around 11pm they were coming every 7-8 minutes and each one was lasting at least a minute. We decided to text Josh’s sister Char who was going to be our second birth partner/ photographer just to give her a heads up. After this we then spoke to Josh’s parents and between us decided it was best if they came to collect Bella in case things progressed quickly through the night.

While we waited for them to arrive Josh inflated the birth pool in the dining room. He also made sure we had everything we needed downstairs ready and waiting. We scooped Bella out of bed just before midnight and off she went with her Nanny and Grandad. Once she had gone I remember feeling really emotional. I think it was knowing that the next time I saw her, she’d have a baby brother. And she’d no longer be my only baby.

I carried on bouncing but things didn’t seem to be progressing any quicker . So at about 1.30am we decided to go to bed to get some much needed rest. We managed a few hours sleep between contractions but I was back up again at 5.30am. I was having to sway my hips during the particularly strong ones. We ate breakfast and things picked up again although my contractions were quite irregular. Some would be just four minutes apart and then others were eight and then occasionally I wouldn’t get any for twenty minutes. It all felt very similar to my labour with Bella apart from the fact my waters hadn’t broken this time.

The contractions continued, albeit irregularly, all morning long. And by lunch time I couldn’t help but feel frustrated things hadn’t progressed further. I called tri age at 12.54pm for advice and they contacted the community midwife  She gave me a call about 10 minutes later. I explained what had been happening and she suggested she come out to see how I was getting on at home and to examine me to see if I was in active labour yet.

Our lovely midwife Justine arrived at about 2pm and she was honestly one of the nicest people I have ever met. She immediately made me feel at ease and I was completely comfortable with her there. After examining me and performing a very intense sweep (ouch!) she told me I was 3cm but that she thought things would progress quickly and she wanted me to stay active. She told us she would stay for about an hour to see how things progressed following the sweep.

Well she clearly knew her stuff as over the next hour things definitely got a lot more intense. At 3pm she told us she wouldn’t be leaving. Instead she called for the second midwife to come along and bring the gas and air. Both Char and Kate the second midwife arrived at around 4pm and my goodness was I pleased to see the gas and air bottle!!




Part two coming soon! 

*Birth photography by Charlotte Rawles Photography*


You may also like


  • Chelle

    So lovely you’ve written about it in such detail, you forget so quickly! I wish I’d done the same. Can’t wait for part 2

    July 8, 2017 at 7:51 pm Reply
  • Emily and Indiana

    Ooh these pictures are so raw, and so lovely!! I cannot believe you left us hanging like that though! Haha xx

    July 8, 2017 at 8:10 pm Reply
  • Leave a Reply