As promised in my last post, here is the recipe for the muffins Bella and I baked on Saturday. This is my usual chocolate muffin recipe but instead of the white chocolate chunks I normally use, I added in chunks of mars bar and let me tell you, they were incredible. After Christmas the only chocolates left in the celebrations tin were mars and milky ways so this was the perfect way to use some of them up!
Bella absolutely loved helping me bake these and was ever so careful with each step of the recipe. Although I think she may have enjoyed scoffing the mars chunks and then the finished products even more 😉 We’re definitely going to try and do more weekend baking together as we both thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ingredients (Makes 12 muffins)
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 130g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 160ml milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence
- 160g unsalted butter, melted
- 200g chocolate chunks of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees / Gas mark 3
- Put the eggs and sugar into a free standing mixer (I use my Kenwood K Mixer) and beat using the paddle attachment until pale and well combined
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt
- In a jug, combine the milk and vanilla essence
- Gradually add these two mixtures alternately into the egg mixture, little by little. Beat until all the ingredients are well combined
- Stir in the melted butter and mix well then add your chocolate chunks and stir until evenly dispersed through the cake batter
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are two thirds full then bake in your pre heated oven for around 30 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
- Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the tray before transferring onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.