A Sunny Few Days In St Ives, Cornwall

Straight after my Dad died, I felt so incredibly lost. I had spent so many years looking after him that I just didn’t know what to do with myself. And along with the shock and of course the overwhelming grief I just couldn’t seem to find joy in anything. This went on for weeks. And then one day I realised that I needed something to focus on, things to look forward to.

We couldn’t afford to book some big fancy holiday sadly. So instead Josh and I decided we’d invest some money into getting ourselves kitted out with a family tent and all the camping gear to go with it. We figured it would be a great way to enable us to get away as a family without it costing the earth. Josh managed to find a great deal on Facebook market place for a tent and pretty much everything else we would need. Including a camping toilet, WHO KNEW THESE WERE A THING?! Not me.

As soon as we had all the stuff I was itching to get a trip booked in. St Ives has been on my bucket list for ages but I had always been put off by the long drive with the kids still being fairly young. But I found the most amazing looking campsite and had a bit of a ‘FUCK IT’ moment and just booked it for 3 nights at the end of half term.

And I am so glad I did! Yes six hours in a car squashed next to a five year old in the back is A LONG OL’ TIME. But we survived. Just. And the beautiful views/ ice cream/ memories were totally worth it.

We headed off early Thursday morning and had arrived at our campsite by mid afternoon. We stayed at Trevalgan Touring Park which was hands down the nicest campsite we have ever stayed at. I can totally see why it has 5 stars! The car was packed to the brim, so we un loaded, got everything set up then popped out to find a supermarket to stock up on supplies. After a plate of pesto pasta we got the kids ready for bed and shock horror they went to sleep no problem and both slept ALL NIGHT. I was definitely expecting multiple wakes up from them both.

On Friday morning we had bacon and eggs in our tent before getting ready and hopping on the bus down into St Ives. And OH MY is it beautiful. It’s honestly one of the most picturesque places I have ever visited. We pottered about along the harbour front before stopping for ice creams at Willy Wallers ice cream factory. The bounty flavour was divine!! Armed with our buckets and spades we then headed down onto the beach for some sand castle building. We then enjoyed Cornish pasties overlooking the boats for lunch before catching the bus back to the campsite so that Hugo could have his afternoon nap.

Hugo of course had other ideas and refused to sleep so we ended up jumping in the car and going for a drive so that both kids could snooze for a bit and we could enjoy some peace!! Our day ended with us eating delicious fish and chips from Atlantic Cafe Bar sat on Portreath beach watching the last of the surfers followed by a paddle in the sea. Bliss.

Saturday was our sixth wedding anniversary so we’d booked in for lunch at Firehouse bar and grill following a friends recommendation. We had a slow morning at the campsite so Hugo could nap, Bella played nicely and I enjoyed reading my book. Our lunch was lovely, I would definitely recommend the pork belly starter as it was amazing! Our table had the best view over the harbour and it was really nice to be able to still see the sea. We skipped dessert at the restaurant so we could get ice creams again later in the afternoon. After lunch we mooched about through all the lovely little shops and slowly made our way back down to the beach. Although of course this time we had forgot our buckets and spades and ended up having to buy more. That will teach me for being all smug on day one ha!

Despite it being a Saturday the beach was quieter than the day before which was nice. Bella was straight in the water and loved splashing about in the sea. Hugo wasn’t quite so sure so stayed on dry land most of the time making sand castles with Josh. Once we’d finished at the beach we headed to Moomaid Of Zennor Ice Cream Parlour to test out the Shipwreck flavour following Jane’s recommendation! I can confirm it was bloody delish! We made our way back to the campsite late afternoon, had a picky dinner as we were still so full from lunch and all got an early night. There’s something I find really soothing about laying in bed in your tent all cosy with a book, listening to the wind outside. Simple things eh?!

We got up early Sunday morning and packed down as the weather had taken a turn for the worse and rain had started at 5am! We were away by 8am and made the longgggg journey home.

Our first camping trip was a success. Both the campsite and St Ives were amazing and I would definitely love to return to both! Although next time probably for longer as it’s a long way to go for just a couple of days! Next up on our list is the New Forest!


You may also like

Leave a Reply