You know when you just throw what you have left in the fridge into a pan and hope for the best? Well that’s pretty much what I did with this recipe a few weeks ago. And I was pleasantly surprised when it tasted bloody lovely! and It’s now one of our favourites. Comfort food for me, is a big old bowl of pasta. And I love that I can enjoy this without all the guilt. This pesto pasta dish still tastes super creamy but with a lot less calories. It’s also super quick and easy to make and very family friendly!
Ingredients (Serves 4 but can easily be halved and is 3 syns per portion on Slimming World)
- 2-3 Chicken breasts, cut into chunks (you could replace this with any variety of sausages, bacon or even pork loin)
- Half a pack of mushrooms, cut into slices
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red or yellow pepper, chopped
- A handful of baby leaf spinach
- 1 tub of lightest Philadelphia
- 3 tbsps. of green pesto
- 300g – 400g Penne pasta depending on your usual portion size
- Cook the penne pasta as normal
- Whilst your pasta is cooking, spritz a non stick frying pan with some fry light and cook your chicken over a medium to high heat
- Add in the onion, mushrooms and pepper and fry off until soft
- In a bowl mix together the Philadelphia cheese and the pesto, add 1 tbsp. of water to loosen the mix slightly
- Once your pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pan then mix in the chicken, onions, mushrooms and pepper mix followed by the spinach
- Stir the pesto Philadelphia sauce through the pasta then serve with lots of ground black pepper and a side salad / extra veg if you wish!