Easy Chicken, Bacon & Spinach Risotto
I love cooking but hate cooking under pressure which 9 times out of 10, is the case in our house. Normally I’m in a rush to get dinner on the table quickly after work in time for us to eat together as a family before Bella’s bath & bedtime routine. We’re currently on holiday in Norfolk so I have been thoroughly enjoying cooking at my own pace and not having to rush around like a lunatic. So today I thought I would share one of our firm family favourites; risotto!
This recipe is super easy and SO versatile. Instead of bacon you can use chorizo and swap the milk for passata for a tasty tomato risotto. Alternatively if you prefer fish you can replace the chicken and bacon with prawns or smoked haddock. I also often add in mushrooms and sometimes peas. The possibilities are endless! I hope you enjoy this recipe post and do let me know if you try this yourself!
Ingredients (Serves 4 and is approx 450 calories per portion)
- Small knob of butter
- A dash of olive oil
- 1 large leek or onion, thinly sliced
- 300g arborio risotto rice
- 700ml of chicken stock
- 250ml of milk
- 2 x chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2-3 rashers of diced smoked bacon or 1 pack of pancetta cubes
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche or natural yoghurt
- A couple of handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- Heat your olive oil in a large non stick saucepan on a medium-high heat and cook off your chicken pieces and bacon until cooked through.
- Add the butter and sliced leeks into the pan and cook for around 5 minutes, stirring regularly until the leeks are soft. Add the rice and stir for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and stock to the pan, bring to the boil and then cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low (this is crucial or the risotto may stick). Let the risotto cook for 18 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Fold in the crème fraîche and spinach (the heat of the risotto will wilt the spinach perfectly), season with plenty of black pepper and serve! You can serve the risotto on its own, with a sprinkle of grated cheese or with extra veggies our favourites are asparagus or tender stem broccoli.
Thanks for reading,