My Sister is currently getting organised for her family holiday in a couple of weeks. She recently asked me if I had any tips for travelling with a toddler as the last time they went away my niece was still a small babe in arms. This got me thinking about what did and didn’t work for us on our previous holidays with Bella in tow. So I thought I’d share a few of my top tips!
- Before you book, shop around for your accommodation to find what suits your families needs best. We have always stuck to all inclusive holidays but have recently been looking into family friendly cruises. I’ve also been considering renting a villa a bit closer to home next year too. I think it may be easier with two kids in tow to have more space and our own pool. Tots To Travel have some gorgeous properties in France that I absolutely love the look of and I think will be perfect for our first family holiday as a four next year.
- If it’s your little one’s first experience with flying then try your best to explain to them what to expect. I imagine an airport and an aeroplane can be pretty overwhelming for a toddler. So it’s best to prepare them as much as possible beforehand! Before Bella’s first holiday to Ibiza we chatted about it a lot in the weeks leading up to it. I also bought a couple of books about holidays for us to read together too.
- Pack a flight bag which is specifically for your child. For both our holidays abroad we have used Bella’s Trunki for her hand luggage. Inside this I will pop things like spare clothes but I also pop a smaller flight bag inside the Trunki too. This means that the Trunki can go in the overhead lockers but it’s still accessible should you need it and I can just keep the smaller bag with us. In the flight bag I pack things like books, some small toys, snacks, wipes, the iPad and some kiddy headphones too.
- Book a private transfer. In my opinion it’s worth every penny! We did this when we went to Ibiza and it avoided all the waiting about at the airport and the long coach journey. It also meant we got to the hotel before everyone else so checking it was much quicker too!
- Take a stroller. We made a huge mistake last year and didn’t take one on our holiday to Greece. I spent most of the week lugging a two year old around in the scorching heat. Not ideal. So always take one! Even if you don’t use it much, at least you have the option.
- Book your child into some kids club sessions (if there is one!). Now I know everyone has very mixed opinions on using kids clubs on holiday. But let’s face it, travelling with little ones can be pretty stresssful. I personally think that kids clubs are bloody awesome and having just two hours a day child free was absolute bliss. Bella also had a blast at the sessions too!
What other tips would you add to this list?
*This is a collaborative post. Although, all tips are of course my own*